Baseball is not immune to the phenomena of acronyms and in fact it might be one of the worst offenders in the entire universe: OPS, HR/F, LOB%, PECTOA, WAR… the list goes on and on. In what follows I will be talking about BABIP which stands for Batting Average on Balls in Play. You've heard of it no doubt, but do you really understand it? I'll try and explain a little bit about it before digging into the guts of it and looking at 2014 performances.
WHAT IS BABIP?
BABIP, also referred to as a player's hit rate, is the rate at which batted balls end up as base hits. There is one caveat with BABIP – it removes home runs from the equation because technically the ball isn't in play on a home run (it never lands in the field of play). Here is the simple formula in play for the Continue...
Leave a Comment
The co-host of The Drive on SiriusXM Fantasy Sports Radio (Sirius 210, XM 87: Mon-Thurs 7 PM, Fri. 9 PM EDT), Ray also hosts a show Sunday night (7-10 PM EDT). Ray has spent years squirreled away studying the inner workings of the fantasy game to the detriment of his personal life. Specializing in baseball, football and hockey, some consider him an expert in all three.
- Ryan Mathews (knee) is practicing on Friday
- Giovani Bernard (hip) was officially ruled out
- Jordan Cameron has been ruled out for Sunday
- Darren Sproles expected to play Sunday
- Tony Romo did not practice on Friday
- A.J. Green expects to play Sunday
- Giovani Bernard (hip) expected to miss Sunday
- DeAngelo Hall re-tore his Achilles' tendon
- Russell Westbrook out 4-6 weeks with broken hand
- Rusell Westbrook Out After Hand Injury