Fantasy Football: Statistical Nuances From The Nomad From Week 5 Of The NFL
Fantasy Football: Statistical Nuances from the Nomad
A Six Pack of Stats that Standout from Week 5 of the NFL Season
by Michael Pichan (@FantasyNomad)
Who does not love stats, and some good suds to wash them down with? Each week I'm going to share with you some stats that standout from the previous week, along with a beer that I whet my whistle to while either celebrating some Fantasy success, or coping with Fantasy frustration. Most of you know of my affinity for PBR (as you can find out here in an Zach Law’s “There Still is No Off Season” book), this season though, I will be expanded my palate for pilsner, and other brews, and this week's beer of choice is Fat Tire Amber Ale
I was recently introduced to Fat Tire Amber Ale, and their Fat Tire Friday. I am not totally sure what Fat Tire Friday is all about quite yet, but I love alliteration and having a nice cold one on a Friday, so I was sold. I have to say I wish I was introduced to this 5.2% Amber Ale much sooner as it now will become one of my go to brews for weekends to come. It is not heavy or complex, which some may say makes it seem more like a Macro-brew, but to me those people are just being snooty. It is crisp with good drinkablity and goes good with most food, especially a good burger. I definetly enjoyed this lager and have put it on my shopping list of Sunday Suds as I recommend you do as well. For more beer recommendations follow me on Untapped, and in the meantime, here are some stats that stood out from Week 5 of the NFL Fantasy Football Season:
1) Oh poor Tony Romo, dude comes 48 yards short of breaking Norm Van Brocklin's single game mark for most passing yards in a game with 506 yards, throws five touchdowns, sets multiple franchise passing records, but all everyone will talk about is his failure to perform in the clutch, again. Here is something to chew on, Romo has the third highest QBR in the fourth quarter since 2006 behind just Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers. And before Sunday's interception, Romo was tied with Tom Brady and Matt Ryan for the most interceptions in the 4th quarter or overtime with the score tied or leading by seven or fewer points in the same time span. Conclusion, good Fantasy quarterback, who does not necessarily throw more 4th quarter interceptions as many of his more revered contemporaries, it is just that the INT"s have come at more crucial times.
2) Would not be a stat article without an appearance by Peyton Manning. Manning broke another record, imagine that, as he passed for two touchdowns and ran for his first touchdown in five years to give him an NFL record 20 touchdowns in the 1st five games to start a season surpassing Daunte Culpepper's previous record of 18. In addition, Manning surpassed Dan Marino for second all-time in career passing yards. (Manning has 61.371 career passing yards, but is unlikely to reach Brett Favre's record of 71,838 passing yards). And oh the irony, Peyton leads the league in touchdowns while his brother Eli leads the league in interceptions.
3) Alshon Jeffery lead the Bears in targets again this week with 13 and caught 10 passes for a team high 218 yards (a franchise record) and a touchdown. Jeffery has a scored a touchdown in back-to-back games and now has 325 yards receiving over his last two contests on 15 receptions. The Bears get the 0-5 New York Giants next, which sets up nicely for Jeffery to continue to provide for Fantasy owners.
4) Ray Rice went from five touches in week four to 33 in week five as he rushed for 74 yards on 27 carries (2.4 avg/att) and two touchdowns while adding 28 yards receiving on six catches.
5) The Jaguars may suck, but Justin Blackmon was stellar in his return to the field with five catches for 136 yards receiving and a touchdown.
6) Some rookies making noise in Week 5:
+ Jets quarterback Geno Smith became only the 3rd quarterback in Jets history to have an 80 percent completion rate as he completed 16 of 16 of 20 passes for 199 yards, three touchdowns, and no turnovers in Monday night's win over the Falcons. (Coming into Monday night's contest Smith held the league lead in turnovers with 11).
+ A week after fumbling at the one yard line late in the game, Cowboys wide receiver Terrance Williams bounce back to have a huge game with four catches for 151 yards and a touchdown and one of the best rookie performances in ages for the Cowboys.
+ Chargers wide out Keenan Allen had his coming out party Sunday night as he caught six of nine targets for 115 yards and a touchdown. Allen could have had an even bigger game as he could have had two more touchdowns as he was controversially ruled out of bounds earlier in the game after the play was reviewed and Rivers was late to find him wide open in the end zone in the 4th quarter
And knew this week is a "Shot on the Side," where I provide some IDP Statistical Nuances that stand out from the previous week:
+ Raiders Charles Woodson tied Rod Woodson and Darren Sharper for most defensive return touchdowns in NFL history with his 13th of his career when he returned a fumble for a touchdown Sunday night. Woodson added an interception to seal the Raiders victory giving him 56 for his career, which ties him with two others for 17th most all-time.
+ Cardinals LB Daryl Washington made his presence felt immediately in his first game back after serving a four game suspension. Washington had a team high nine tackles, eight solo, three for a loss, and added two sacks, an interception, and one pass deflection.
Michael Pichan is the host of multiple RotoInfo.com Radio Network Shows, frequent guest on Sirius/XM Fantasy Sports channel, contributor of written Fantasy advice and insight for Rotoinfo.com, and FSWA member. If you have any questions or comments feel free to post in comment section and/or e-mail him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Also follow him on Twitter @FantasyNomad for up-to-date Q&A and fantasy information. And tune in every Saturday for our Start/Sit Fantasy Football Google Hangout with Fantasy Insider Brad Costilo and download the Rotoinfo.com Fantasy Football Show which airs every Thursday at 7pm and the 4th Down Fantasy Football Podcast with my self and Wayne Bretsky (click on blue for the links).
Leave a Comment
- Justin Blackmon was arrested Wednesday night
- Ray Rice suspended for first two games
- Josh Gordon to appeal Aug 1
- Roddy White signs extension
- Alex Cobb Fans 10 Cardinals in Shutout Win
- Reynolds goes yard twice in Brewers win
- Cespedes homers twice, leaves with thumb injury
- Neftali Feliz named Rangers new closer
- Dombrowski confirms Nathan will remain closer
- Tigers To Acquire Joakim Soria
@marc_cesar at this point you have to go for needs over name value at times, especially in roto formats