July 4th – A Look Back
July 4th is a special day in the history of our great country. We're you aware though that July 2nd might actually be a more important day? If you have no idea what I'm talking about make sure you give Celebrating the 4th a read. That article also has some interesting tidbits about what we eat this holiday, about Jose Canseco who hit his 30th homer on this date in 1999 (Jose Bautista leads baseball with 27 homers) an about a certain pitcher who in 1974 made an appearance in his 14th consecutive game on this date.
For those of you into hot dog eating, today is Nathan's 97th Annual Hot Dog Eating Contest from Coney Island, New York. Joey Chestnut, from my hood in the Bay Area, won for the 6th time.
For more on the contest, here's a write up I did a couple of years ago on July 4th titled Is Competitive Eating a Sport?
Oh, in case you missed it, here is how you can get your hands on the BaseballGuys.com 2012 Rest of The Way Rankings of 525 players for the second half.
Leave a Comment
The co-host of The Drive on SiriusXM Fantasy Sports Radio (Sirius 210, XM 87: Mon-Fri 7-10 PM EDT), Ray also hosts his own show Sunday night (7-10 PM EDT). Ray has spent years squirreled away studying the inner workings of the fantasy game to the detriment of his personal life. Specializing in baseball, football and hockey, some consider him an expert in all three.
- Scott Feldman Tosses Complete-Game Shutout
- Chris Sale K's 13 Tigers in Win
- Max Scherzer K's 11 But Gives Up 5 ER in Loss
- Marco Gonzales Earns First Career MLB Win
- Logan Watkins Hits First Major League HR
- Jeff Samadzija Take Complete-Game Loss
- Masahiro Tanaka Shut Down Again
- Dustin Pedroia has some concussion symptoms
- Cabrera (ankle) removed from Saturday's game
- Rams have released DE Michael Sam.