2011 Player Capsules: Catchers
Over the next little while I'm going to release hundreds of player capsules for hitters. I'll break them down by positions each day, and give you a sampling of what I'm going to provide to each of you. So this is how it will work.
(1) You stop by BaseballGuys.com.
(2) You'll get a chance to review a handful of the players at the position of the day.
(3) You'll find a CODE at the end of the article.
(4) You'll take that CODE and email it to me at: email@example.com
(5) I'll send you back a PDF file with the top-50 or so players at the position that is under discussion for that day.
How does that sound to you?
The best part?
How about the cost... it's 100% FREE.
All I ask is that you tell a friend.
Here is an example of what to expect.
Chris Iannetta For some reason the Rockies haven't trusted this guy despite the fact that per 500 at-bats in his career that he has averaged roughly 23 homers and 83 RBI. His batting average is an eyesore, he owns a career .234 mark, but with ample power and an ability to take a walk (.353 career OBP), it's odd that he has been given more than 300 at-bats just once in his career.
Yadier Molina A batting average booster in 2007-09, Yadier fell on hard times last season posting his worst average since 2006. Despite that fact, there is reason for optimism. His walk rate was up last season leaving him with a career average BB/K mark, and his line drive rate was a career-high 21 percent. A .281 BABIP likely speaks to a bit of poor luck for the Cardinal in 2010.
Jorge Posada At nearly 40 years of age, Posada simply can't handle the rigors of catching on a daily basis. That's why the Yankees plan to use Posada as their DH in 2011. Can Posada still hit? He will be a threat to 20 homers and 70 RBI – totals he has reached eight times in the same season – if he can stay healthy, but beware his declining bat speed and what that might do to his average.
The Catcher code is: Tools of Ignorance
By Ray Flowers
Leave a Comment
The co-host of The Drive on SiriusXM Fantasy Sports Radio (Sirius 210, XM 87: Mon-Fri 5-8 PM EDT and Sunday 7-10 PM EDT), Ray has spent years squirreled away studying the inner workings of the fantasy game to the detriment of his personal life. Specializing in baseball, football and hockey, some consider him an expert in all three.
- Browns signed Karlos Dansby to a 4-year deal
- Garnett did not make trip to Miami
- Taveras still out, probably won't make team
- Donte Whitner, Cleveland Browns close to deal
- Greinke will start for Dodgers on Wednesday
- Lions and Joique Bell have agreed on deal
- Texans released TE Owen Daniels.
- Bynum will make his Pacers debut Tuesday
- Nikola Vucevic with 7th straight double-double
- Matt Cain pitched 5 perfect innings Monday